Class of 1916
Henry Von Ohsen (1860 – 1923)
Carrie Mundell Von Ohsen (1859 – 1921)
Rev. Harold Elmer Beatty (1880-1966)
The Concord Times (Concord, NC), October 11, 1917, p.6
Miss Von Ohsen Wedded to Rev. Harold Beatty at Orangeburg, S. C.
Orangeburg. Oct. 8 – A wedding, which was marked by the beauty of its simplicity, was solemnized at the Orangeburg Lutheran cjurch the night of September 24, at 7 o’clock. The contracting parties were Miss Catherine Von Ohsen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. Von Ohsen, Sr., and Rev. Harold E. Beatty, pastor of Orangeburg Lutheran church.
Prior to the ceremony Miss Claudine Wannamaker sang sweetly, “Love Here is My Heart.” She was gowned in pink georgette crepe with picture hat to match.
As the strains from the wedding march by Lohengren began, the archbearers entered. They were gowned in frocks of pink tulle with slippers and hose to match. The arches – carried by members of Miss Von Ohsen’s Sunday school class of pretty maids, were fashioned from southern smilax and pink autumn roses. There were three in number the first at the entrance the second in the center and the third at the end of the aisle forming a rose-bowered passage for the bridal party.
The ushers, Messrs. William Bryant, Holly Beatty, Harold Wannamaker and Archey Schiffley were the first to enter. Ten followed the groom accompanied by his best man, Rev. H. J. Black, from Charleston, S. C. Then came the maid of honor, Miss Julia Von Ohsen, sister of the bride. She was gowned in a Grecian robe of silver cloth which was veiled in pink tulle. She wore a pink picture hat and carried an armful of pink kilarney roses, tied with pink tulle.
The bride entered on the arm of her brother, Mr. H. Von Ohsen, Jr. She is a typical southern beauty – chestnut curls and clear olive complexion. She was gowned in a white broadcloth coat, white picture hat, white gloves and white kid shoes. She carried a beautiful shower bouquet of bride roses and white woodland violets.
The beautiful and impressive ring ceremony was used the Rev. J. W. Oxner, from Cameron, S. C., officiating. At the closing prayer the bride and groom knelt on a white satin pillow to receive the pastor’s blessings.
Immediately after the ceremony one of those real old fashioned, souther wedding suppers was served at teh Von Ohsen home.
The guests consisted of the members of the wedding party, Miss Ruth Darrille of Hampton, Miss Lucile Beatty of Charlotte, N. C., Mr. and Mrs. George Darrille, Mr. Oscar Blackwelder of the theological seminary at Columbia, S. C., and Rev. J. W. Oxner of Cameron, S. C.
Mr. and Mrs. Beatty left on train No. 32 for Charlotte and other points north. The bride wore a traveling suit of brown broadcloth, brown sport shoes and a brown velour hat. She is one of Orangeburg’s most beautiful and charming girls.
The groom is the pastor of the Orangeburg Lutheran Church. He has served the church for the past four years. He was graduated from Roanoke college in 1907, and entered the Southern Lutheran Theological seminary the following fall and was graduated in 1910. He then entered Mt. Airy Theological seminary at Philadelphia and took a year special training. The groom, minister and the best man were all classmates in the Southern Theological seminary.
The Evening Star (Washington, District of Columbia), March 30, 1970, p. 32
Mrs. Beatty, 73; Widow of Pastor, Lutheran Leader
Mrs. Catherine von Ohsen Beatty, 73, widow of former Georgetown pastor and past president of the National Council of Lutheran Church Women, died of cancer Saturday in Georgetown University Hospital. She lived at 3010 Wisconsin Ave. NW.
Born in Orangeburg, S. C., she attended Mont Amoena Seminary in South [sic] Carolina and Madison College in Virginia.
Her husband, the Rev. Harold E. Beatty, was pastor of the Georgetown Lutheran Church from 1927 until retiring in 1957. He died in 1966. The parish educational building is named in their honor.
Mrs. Beatty in addition to her work with the Lutheran Women’s Council was a leader in the interdenominational World Day of Prayer in Washington.
She leaves two daughters, Mrs. James Taylor of Glen Head, N. Y., and Mrs. Robert Reich of Washington; three sons, Harold E. Jr. of Tampa, Fla., Louis B., of Bethesda and John V. of Dallas; a sister, Mrs. George Darrill of Orangeburg; a brother, Gus von Ohsen of California; and 14 grandchildren.
Services will be at 10 a.m. tomorrow in Georgetown Lutheran Church, Wisconsin Avenue and Volta Place NW, with burial in Fort Lincoln Cemetery.
The family requests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Beatty Building Fund at the church.